-by Priscilla Di Vincenzo, MSN, APRN, FNP-C
Starting Botox treatments for the first time can be nerve-wracking. You want to get rid of the wrinkles and make your skin smooth, but you also want to make sure you’re prepared so that you can get the best possible results! There are some things to consider prior to injection, and this list of Do’s and Don’ts will help you get ready for your injectable consultation and treatment.
- DO ask your injector for their medical education background and their experience with injecting. It is important to have a solid foundation with the person that’s guiding you down the path of injectables. Do your research and ensure your injector is the right fit for you so that you are able to build a trusting relationship with that person.
- DON’T try and base your treatment off of your friends and family. Anyone can tell you how many units they received and what worked for them, but what works for YOU may be completely different. Your injector will be able to work with you to nail down your perfect dose! Be patient, because at first some tweaking with doses is expected and completely normal!
- DO come back for your follow up! Botox takes several days to start taking effect, and two full weeks for your final result. Injectors want to see patients back when the dose has fully kicked in because if you need additional units, this would be an appropriate time to add them in. This helps your injector tailor your dose specifically to you!
- DON’T plan on getting sweaty for 24 hours post injection! It is recommended to avoid participating in any sweaty gym sessions, hot tubs, saunas, or any activity that will cause you to become flushed and hot for a 24-hour time-period post treatment. This ensures that your Botox has time to diffuse into the muscle! Avoiding these activities also ensures you don’t rub or manipulate your face during that time period after injection. Vigorous rubbing can actually cause Botox to move into other muscles, leading to complications. Minimize the risk of complications and plan your day accordingly!
- DO consider starting a consistent skincare routine with dermatology-grade products. If you are just starting off with Botox and aren’t doing anything else to maintain your skin’s integrity or to prevent premature aging, it is highly recommended that you meet with one our skincare experts for a skin analysis. Quality products will help to enhance the appearance of your skin and will ultimately complement your Botox. Your Botox will help to relax your muscles from creating those pesky wrinkles, but your skin will glow when you incorporate the right products!
- DON’T try and squeeze your Botox treatment in a week or two before a big event! If it is your first time getting treated, make sure you are scheduling for at least 4 weeks prior to an event. This gives your initial dose that two-week time period to kick in, and then should you require a touch up at the two-week mark, you will have another two weeks for that touch up dose to be fully effective. About 4-6 weeks prior to an event is that sweet spot!