What is the Candela GentleLASE plus™ laser and why is it a safe treatment? Lasers have been used for many years for a variety of medical cosmetic procedures including treatment of facial and leg veins, age spots and rejuvenating the skin on the face. The FDA Approved GentleLASE™ System, a revolutionary long-pulse high energy alexandrite laser emits a gentle beam of light that passes through the skin to the hair follicle where it is absorbed. The laser energy is transformed into heat, which destroys the hair follicle leaving the surrounding skin unaffected. The skin is further protected during treatment by a Dynamic Cooling Device™ where cryogen is sprayed onto the skin cooling the upper layers and providing patients with increased comfort. The GentleLASE™ selectivity helps to protect the skin, while effectively treating the unwanted hair.
What conditions are treated with the laser?
Traditional hair removal techniques, such as shaving, plucking, waxing and depilatory creams provide only temporary relief. Until now, the only recognized way to remove hair permanently has been by electrolysis - which can be tedious, time-consuming and uncomfortable.The GentleLASE™ System safely removes unwanted body hair without damaging the delicate pores and structures of the skin. Facial and bikini areas are usually completed in under ten minutes; legs, backs and larger areas can take longer.
What does the treatment include?
Depending on theamount of hair treated, the procedure varies from patient to patient. Generally, the treatment will include:
- Wearing safety eyewear to protect the practitioner and patient's eyes from the laser light during the procedure.
- A small handpiece will be used that touches the skin to deliver the laser light. A light spray of coolant onto the skin will be felt just before each laser pulse.
- A test area will be done prior to the entire treatment. Your full treatment may be done on the same day or up to two weeks later, depending on the skin reaction.
- Most patients experience little discomfort at the treatment site because of the dynamic cooling device.
- The degree of discomfort varies with each person, depending on his/her pain threshold.
- Topical anesthesia may also be requested based on individual preferences or tolerances.
- The procedure can take as little as 10 minutes or up to an hour, depending on the treatment area.
- The treated area may become pink or red within 30 minutes of treatment; this may last from a few hours to several days and is relieved with the application of ice or cooling gels.
What precautions should be taken before and after the treatment?
- Avoid the sun 4-6 weeks before and after treatment or until your practitioner allows it.
- You must avoid electrolysis, plucking or waxing hair for 6 weeks prior to treatment.
- If you have had a history of perioral herpes (cold sores), prophylactic antiviral therapy may be prescribed.
- If you have a dark skin type, a skin lightener may be started 4-6 weeks before treatment to optimize results.
How many treatments will I need?
Hair grows in cycles. The number of treatments required depends upon your skin color and coarseness of the hair. Everyone will require at least 2-3 treatments as the process is only effective on hair during the early growing cycle. Repeat sessions will be necessary to treat these follicles when they re-enter the early growth phase.
Who performs the procedure?
The laser procedure is performed in our medical spa by a qualified nurse, under the medical supervision of Vito C. Quatela, MD, FACS.